Friday, August 22, 2008

Edgar Degas Absinthe painting

Edgar Degas Absinthe paintingFrida Kahlo The Broken Column paintingFrida Kahlo Self Portrait painting
So it's probably okay," he concluded. "G. Herrold won't do you any harm, and I been in proctoscopy long enough to be broad-minded."
"I knew it was supposed to be flunkèd," I confessed, "but I enjoyed it anyhow."
"That don't matter, Georgie. What flunkèdness is, it's not doing what you're not supposed to do; flunkèdness is to do itbecause you're not supposed to, and perverseness is to like itbecause you know it's flunkèd. 'Even though' is okay; 'because' is flunkèd."
"So I'm still a Grand Tutor," I said happily. "I knew I was."
Max smiled and to my pleasure agreed at least that my disporting with G. Herrold, done as it was innocently and in good faith, didn'trefute my claim. "Take the goats, now, for instance," he said: "how come you never humped yourself a doeling since you were a youngster? You were sweet on Hedda once,nicht wahr? And a nanny is not bad, you know, for a goat. But you got no taste for them since you learned you're a human person, isn't that so?"
I acknowledged that it was.

No comments: