Thursday, October 16, 2008

John William Waterhouse My Sweet Rose painting

John William Waterhouse My Sweet Rose paintingJohn William Waterhouse Waterhouse Narcissus paintingJohn William Waterhouse waterhouse Ophelia painting
delight in puzzling the mythological experts, while building up the chart, with questions like:
"What was the name of Hector's maternal grandmother?" and "Had the Chimasra any male issue?" and then challenging them to quote the relevant verse from the ancient poets in support of their answer. It was, by the way, from a recollection of this table, now in my possession, that many years afterwards my nephew Caligula made his famous joke against Augustus: "Oh, yes, he was my great-uncle. He stood in precisely the same relationship to me as the Dog Cerberus did to Apollo." As a matter of fact, now that I consider the matter, Caligula made a mistake here, did he not? Apollo's great-uncle was surely the monster Typhoeus who according to some authorities was the father, and according to others the grandfather of Cerberus. But the early genealogical tree of the Gods is so confused with incestuous alliances-son with mother, brother with sister-that it may be that Caligula could have proved his case.
As a Protector of the People Tiberius was held in great awe by the Rhodians; and provincial officials sailing out to take up their

No comments: